(7) And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels, (8) And prevailed not; neither was their place found anymore in heaven. (9) And the dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him. Revelation 12:7-9 KJV
We are continuing the study of Revelation chapter 12. Today we will look at verses 7-12. In these particular scriptures the Apostle John is going further in the past to explain what he saw with Satan and the rebellious angels. There was war in heaven, Satan and his angles were cast out of heaven and from Peter’s scripture in 2 Peter 2:4 we know that the angels are in chains, even now. Jesus also revealed to us in the Gospels that he saw Satan fall like lightening.
(18) And he said unto them, I beheld Satan as lightening fall from heaven. ~ Luke 10:18 KJV
Jesus was telling his disciples a piece of history regarding Satan, that old serpent, called the Devil, which was cast out of heaven and thrown to the earth.
(10) And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down which accused them before our God day and night. Revelation 12:10 KJV
John reveals what happened in heaven when Jesus overcame death. He defeated the devil and gave everyone on earth salvation, strength and power. This is why it says, Now is come salvation, strength and the power of his Christ. The accuser of the brethren is Satan and he was cast down to earth.
(11) And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death. Revelation 12:11 KJV
Believers in Christ are able to overcome the accusations and deceptions of the devil because they believe in the blood Jesus shed. They share testimonies and through those testimonies others are able to overcome. People who share testimonies of overcoming a struggle or trial stir up faith in other believers. That is why they are so important to share. They share about Jesus even if it kills them.
(12) Therefore rejoice, ye heavens, and ye that dwell in them. Woe to the inhabiters of the earth and of the sea! For the devil is come down unto you, having great wrath, because he knoweth that he hath but a short time. Revelation 12:12 KJV
Therefore rejoice in the heavens and those that dwell in them. The inhabiters of the earth need to be on alert and watch out because the devil has come to earth and he is angry with great wrath and he knows he has a short time to cause havoc and destruction. He lost his battle in heaven but he is still allowed to roam on the earth.
(13) And when the dragon saw that he was cast unto the earth, he persecuted the woman which brought forth the man child. Revelation 12:13 KJV
The Apostle John has returned to an image of the past. The devil who was cast to earth persecuted Mary who brought forth Jesus, the Messiah.
And to the woman were given two wings of a great eagle, that she might fly into the wilderness, into her place, where she is nourished for a time, and times, and half a time, from the face of the serpent. Revelation 12:14 KJV
By using the symbolism of an eagle that flies high, we are shown she was able to escape the attacks upon her and Jesus when he was a child. She was taken care of for some time from the face of the devil which was three years and four and a half months.
(15) And the serpent cast out of his mouth water as a flood after the woman, that he might cause her to be carried away of the flood. (16) And the earth opened her mouth, and swallowed up the flood which the dragon cast out of his mouth. Revelation 12:15-16 KJV
In the scriptures above God is giving the Apostle John a symbolic visual of what it was like if the story was to be described. If you visualize a flood it is strong and powerful. It would definitely drown and kill you but the flood was swallowed up and it did not destroy her. It was diverted. In other words, the devil’s attempt to kill Mary and the Messiah were diverted and unsuccessful.
(17) And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ. Revelation 12:17 KJV
Satan was very upset with Mary who got away. Satan then goes to make war with the remnant of her seed. The seed is Jesus and the remnant of that seed is the church. All of his believers, all that keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ are the remnant of the “seed”. As long as Satan is still alive he wars with the church.
Hopefully this brings clarity for you to this chapter of Revelation. If you are learning and feel blessed we are so happy! If you would like to donate to help this ministry continue to teach and share the gospel of Jesus Christ please donate through the button below. Thank you! The Lord loves a cheerful giver.