* Judgment of the Dead *
We are continuing the study of Is There One Judgment Day? We observed all the scriptures referring to judgment of the righteous. We will now study judgment day of the wicked. The “wicked” are considered to be those who rejected Jesus as Lord and Savior.
(11) And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them. (12 ) And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. (13) And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. (14) And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. (15) And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire. Revelation 20:11-15 KJV
The scripture in verse 12 refers to the “dead”. We must understand this term to know who it is referring to. Is this any dead person? According to the Word of God we understand that Jesus is the life giving bread. He said he is the resurrection and the life in John 11:25 KJV. If a person is separated from God then they have no life in them. They are spiritually dead. This initial separation began in the Garden of Eden when Adam and Eve died spiritually. They were still alive physically but their connection to life was now separated. The dead are also known as the “walking dead” because they are walking, eating, talking everyday but they are missing the life in them.
This particular event we read in Revelation 20 is a scene from the final judgment upon humanity. Notice there are books opened. There is more than one book present. One we can be absolute is called the “book of life” but we are not sure how many there are total. Maybe there are only two books. The other book was not given a name but anyone who was not found in the book of life is thrown into the lake of fire.
We can read a similar instance in a vision Daniel had in the Old Testament.
(9) I beheld till the thrones were cast down, and the Ancient of days did sit, whose garment was white as snow, and the hair of his head like the pure wool: his throne was like the fiery flame, and his wheels as burning fire. (10) A fiery stream issued and came forth from before him: thousand thousands ministered unto him, and ten thousand times ten thousand stood before him: the judgment was set, and the books were opened. Daniel 7:9-10 KJV
* The Second Resurrection *
For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast them down to hell, and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment; 2 Peter 2:4 KJV
The apostle Peter tells us what happened to the angels that rebelled together with Satan. Right now there are in hell awaiting judgment for their rebellious act.
Unfortunately, when it comes time for the second resurrection the people who did not rise upon the Lord’s return will rise up now to shame and everlasting contempt or damnation.
And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt. Daniel 12:2 KJV
And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation. John 5:29 KJV
God the Father will judge the secrets of men by Christ. The dark thoughts and ideas in man’s heart will be revealed here.
In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel. Romans 2:16 KJV
Verily I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for the land of Sodom and Gomorrha in the day of judgment, than for that city. Matthew 10:15 KJV
God the Father will inflict vengeance on the ones who do not know Him or rejected his Son Jesus. The apostle John tells us there is only one sin upon which people will be judged.
(8) And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: (9) Of sin, because they believe not on me; John 16:8-9 KJV
The reason there is only one sin judged is because Jesus satisfied the payment of sin when he died on the cross. He was without sin and the wrath of God was satisfied. So anyone who accepted His sacrifice and what he did would be clear from the wrath of God on this day at the judgment of the white throne.
If one understands salvation then this will make perfect sense why everything will be weighed against this work on the cross. Jesus became sin for us.
For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him. 2 Corinthians 5:21 KJV
* Hardened Hearts *
Which is a manifest token of the righteous judgment of God, that ye may be counted worthy of the kingdom of God, for which ye also suffer: (6) Seeing it is a righteous thing with God to recompense tribulation to them that trouble you;(7) And to you who are troubled rest with us, when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels, (8) In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ: (9) Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power; (10) When he shall come to be glorified in his saints, and to be admired in all them that believe (because our testimony among you was believed) in that day. 2 Thessalonians 1:5-10 KJV
So based on these scriptures who will be punished with everlasting destruction? It would be the people who have hard hearts and unwilling to repent. This would also mean those unwilling to admit they need a savior and say they have no sin. God will give many opportunities to repent throughout their life and accept Jesus. But they did not.
5) But after thy hardness and impenitent heart treasurest up unto thyself wrath against the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God (6) Who will render to every man according to his deeds: (7 )To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life: Romans 2:5-7 KJV
(8) But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath, (9) Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile; Romans 2:8-9 KJV
But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men. 2 Peter 3:7 KJV
(14) And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these, saying, Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints, (15) To execute judgment upon all, and to convince all that are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have ungodly committed, and of all their hard speeches which ungodly sinners have spoken against him. Jude 1:14-15 KJV
* Separation Between The Wicked and The Just *
Whose fan is in his hand, and he will throughly purge his floor, and gather his wheat into the garner; but he will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire. Matthew3:12 KJV
So shall it be at the end of the world: the angels shall come forth, and sever the wicked from among the just, Matthew 13:49 KJV
When the Lord Jesus returns there will be a separation between the wicked and the just. There will also be a specific time for the dead who are not in Christ will be judged. The judgment at the white throne is that day we are referring in this study.
And the nations were angry, and thy wrath is come, and the time of the dead, that they should be judged, and that thou shouldest give reward unto thy servants the prophets, and to the saints, and them that fear thy name, small and great; and shouldest destroy them which destroy the earth. Revelation 11:18 KJV
According to the scriptures there are people who destroy the earth. This is not referring to littering and pollution in the sky. This is in reference to changing what God created. God’s ways are perfect and orderly. Each season has its time. Fruits reproduce themselves, there are seasons of harvest, animals and people can reproduce themselves. Even the earth changes its axis as it rotates. It is set to a specific speed and calculated to shift when it is time.
These people who destroy the earth think they can solve or have a better idea of how things should be here on earth. They do not believe God exists therefore they put themselves in His place. He will destroy those who think this way. They see themselves as “god”.
* Second Judgment After Millennial Reign *
So to sum up everything we will quickly review the findings. We know judgment will begin with the House of God. At the end of the millennial reign Satan will be loosed from his chains to reveal the final enemies. He will reveal those who are not totally on board with Jesus and the way of the Kingdom. This will bring about the final battle but really this is not a battle when these people fight against God. The bible says fire will come down from heaven and devour the enemies of God.
(7) And when the thousand years are expired, Satan shall be loosed out of his prison, (8) And shall go out to deceive the nations which are in the four quarters of the earth, God and Magog, to gather them together to battle: the number of whom is as the sand of the sea. (9) And they went up on the breadth of the earth, and compassed the camp of the saints about, and the beloved city: and fire came down from God out of heaven, and devoured them. (10) And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever. Revelation 20:7-10 KJV
The second judgment will take place after the millennial reign and the enemies are devoured. These that were killed in this so called battle will rise up to their judgment at the white throne in which we discovered will be carried out by God the Father. Also note the false prophet is already there. Jesus put him there upon his return.
In conclusion, this may seem different than what you may have heard growing up or learned at church but this is what the scriptures reveal. Many times we are influenced to believe a certain way because we heard it from others. But let the Holy Spirit bring revelation and clarity to what you just read. He can straighten out anything that does not line up with his truth. After all, He wants you to know the secrets of the kingdom. They are reserved especially for you!
And he said, Unto you it is given to know the mysteries of the kingdom of God: but to others in parables; that seeing they might not see, and hearing they might not understand. Luke 8:10 KJV